Sunday, September 1, 2013

Fair Time!

Now that we've been here over a year, I'm inevitably going to start blogging about repeat events, since there's some things we'll always go to, like Fur Rondy and the start of the Iditarod.  Since it's already Fall in Alaska, it's time for the state fair!!

When we first got into the fair, we headed to the exhibition garden to get gardening ideas for next year.  Sadly nothing was marked.  Can someone tell me what all these are? (Mom, I'm looking at you!)







I think this next one was my favorite.  It was about 3-4 feet tall with the prettiest flowers.  Anyone know what it is??




On to the hall of crafts.  There were some...interesting entries this year.

First up, a quilt made of Crown Royal bags.  How Alaskan!


Some young child decided to put his woodworking skills to the test and make a fully operational guillotine.  (note the blue ribbon!)


In the knitting section, someone decided to show off their knitting skills by making baby blankets for their real-yet-monstrous-looking baby dolls (I think these are called reborn dolls.  I originally thought they were called "Real Dolls" but those are something else entirely that you should probably not google if you know what's good for you).  There were several of them on display and they have haunted my dreams ever since.


At the end of the hall they featured the home boozemaking section.  We may enter next year! (Probably only for beer, but maybe I could make some blueberry moonshine?)


Next stop - animals!



For some reason, the farm hall had a giant sasquatch made from hay.  Of course it did.


They had a display of really cool antique farm equipment.


Look at Andy! He wore his fair shirt on purpose.


Then we went to check in on the giant veggies, which is the highlight of the Alaska State Fair.

Kohlrabi:


Cabbage (this is the junior division.  The ones they weigh in the contest are over 100 lbs each. Last year they set a world record!)


I don't know what I'd do with a 67.55 lb rutabaga.


I think with some of the veggies they test for consistency rather than ginormity.  Look at these perfect carrots (the ones in my garden are currently about the size of the ones in the back row. sad).


Some people make creative things with their veggies.  I believe this is a carrot Mahout riding a rutabaga elephant. Or turnip.


Next - Animals.  Chickens!


Cows!


Pigs!


Sheep in jackets!


Tiny goats!


In 4-H in Alaska you can raise reindeer. FOR SHOW. I'm not kidding.


That's a good lookin' reindeer.


After we went through all the exhibition halls, we checked out the booths outside.  I enjoyed the creative spelling at this one.


This booth sold faux-fir bathrobes.  I think I need this one:


Eventually we came across the highlight of the whole fair.  RAT RACE! Time to gamble!


You don't remember the rat race?  It's pretty simple.  You bet on a color and then watch the wheel.


Once everyone bets, the big rat lifts up to reveal the participant (oh did I mention the wheel is spinning?)


There she goes!


She makes a selection!


In the hole!


I won some money, and then re-donated it back to the Elks.  Yay!


We checked out the rides, but did not ride them.


Then we got some food.  There were too many options, many of which were on sticks, but the Reuben Haus caught our eye.  Excellent choice!


After we ate, we walked around some more.  Andy found more farmy things to pose with:


We enjoyed some chainsaw carving:


And a lumberjack competition!



And looked at some classic cars.  Mom and Dad, didn't you have a 66 Mustang?


Finally, we finished the day at our favorite spot at the fair - the church beer and wine bar!


By the time we took our seat outside the weather was completely amazing.  Two years running!




We love this tradition.  We'll be back every year!

No comments:

Post a Comment